Friday, January 21, 2011

Week 3 Wrap-up

Just wrapped up week #3. Things are going very well. My confidence level is doing something it hasn't done in ages.....growing.

This week:
Soups test: 92%
Assignment #1: 90%
Terminology test: 97.5%

Coupled with the 100% last week...this has been a pretty good 3 weeks.

Chef Wicki prepared another meal for us today....and it didn't include odd parts of a cow. He (and another student) made some Andouille sausage on Wednesday. I helped on Thursday with the smoking process. Today the sausage was ready. Andouille sausage is a smoked, spicy sausage, excellent in Cajun dishes such as Gumbo and pasta sauces.
Chef wanted us to enjoy his sausage try the Andouille sausage, so he made a pasta sauce and penne which we got to try during the afternoon break. Most excellent. (I hope my praises of his food will make up for my corny jokes, should he ever find this blog.)

Today my group made a tomato coulis, Marchand de Vin sauce (red wine sauce with a demi-glace base), and a fish veloute (to make a Vin Blanc Sauce on Monday).

Lunch was much better today; (I think I just chose the wrong combination of choices yesterday). Here is what I had:
Beef Barley Soup (excellent)
Rustic Tuscan Pasta with Turkey Sausage (The sauce:  Roasted Garlic Tomato Concasse...the one we made yesterday)
Veggies: Macedoine of Vegetables
Bread: Focaccia
Coffee

Looking forward to week #4.

3 comments:

  1. What a journey you have begun David! It is exactly where you were intended to be. Enjoy your little turns and bends on your journey to becoming a great chef!! I am so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A little late starting, but better late than never.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations - what amazing results! But I am not at all surprised! When you find your passion and your skill, it all comes together. Can't wait to see it all in person! :)

    ReplyDelete