Sunday, January 9, 2011

Assign-what-ments??

For the first time in over 15 years, I have a couple of assignments to work on. Whose idea was it to go back to school again??

Assignment #1 is for my "Nutrition for the Culinary Professional" course. I have to write up a 2-page paper and do a 5-10 minute PowerPoint presentation about how nutrition has combined with the culinary world. (The example used in class was Jamie Oliver.) I think I'll take a Canadian slant and write about the Podleski sisters of "Looney Spoons" & "Crazy Plates" fame. Greta (chef) and Janet (registered nutritionist) were very influential in developing my culinary background many years ago.

The second assignment is for "Stocks, Soups & Sauces". I have to do a 3 to 6-page paper about 3 hot sauces and/or soups with their respective historical backgrounds. My original plan was to do Puttanesca Sauce (sordid history), Chicken Fricot (family history), and Gazpacho (just 'cause me likey). Issues: Fricot is a stew and does not qualify, and the gazpacho is cold, so when I re-read the assignment and realized it was about hot soups & sauces, that one fell out too. So I am back to looking for 2 hot sauces and/or soups to research. (HINT: I'm taking suggestions up to Wednesday.)

So, week #1 is under my belt (or apron, I guess). A hectic week, but manageable so far. My knife skills definitely need a lot of practice (and 15-years of deprogramming). Otherwise, the theory was all comprehensible.....unlike "entropy"; 20 years later and that concept STILL hasn't sunk in.  

I'll end with the 4 rules of making a stock:
1. Use only cold water
2. Never boil
3. Never stir
4. Never cover

On to week #2......and these assignment thingies.
      

4 comments:

  1. I suggest you research the "secret sauce" that they use on the Big D Burger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am rooting for you, you'll do good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Big D secret sauce would be interesting, but I fear it would be one of those "I could tell you, but then I would have to kill you" scenerios.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Could I suggest a Garlic Salmon Bisque? Or Beggar's Bouillon?

    ReplyDelete