Thursday, January 13, 2011

Interesting Day

We had a snow storm last night; 20cm of wet, heavy snow. It was mostly done by 7am, so the majority of businesses, government offices, and schools were delayed opening until 10am. The Culinary Institute was on that list. I should have figured out that since the building was closed until 10am, there would be no lunch because the students that prepare lunch weren't there. Hindsight is 20/20, live and learn, etc, etc.

Also due to the storm, a lot of students didn't show up for Stocks, Soups, and Sauces which runs from 12pm-5pm. Out of a class of 18, only 8 showed up, myself included. Chef Wicki told us that since there was no lunch service today that he would prepare something for us to have at the 3pm break.
Awesome! A meal prepared by a European chef with CCC designation. (CCC = Certified Chef de Cuisine, the highest professional culinary recognition and accreditation in Canada.)

Well, Chef took advantage of the small, intimate gathering and slipped us some tongue prepared cow's tongue.

I made a silent pact with myself when I started this course that I would be open to trying whatever I needed to in order to have the full experience.

While I wouldn't go out of my way to have it often, it wasn't too bad....think spongy roast beef. I had three slices since, as mentioned above, I didn't have lunch. Chef also made us a wild mushroom risotto and a Marchand de vin sauce (red wine sauce) for the cow's tongue. The risotto more than made up for the boiled cow's tongue.

A few days ago my group made an oxtail broth, so Chef had us all try some oxtail meat that day. (I'd take oxtail over cow's tongue.)

So in summary,  the week isn't even over yet and I've eaten parts from both ends of a bovine. 

The weather forecast doesn't look too bad for the next 24 hours, so the "What I had for lunch today" section should be back to normal tomorrow.

5 comments:

  1. What I had for lunch today: no appetizer, entree: mommymilk, dessert: GoodStart supplement. I have to wait until six months old before the menu changes. I am hoping you make me good baby food. Love, KR

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot that some pastry students came out to the cafeteria while we were on break and offered us some lemon souffles. While it nice to wash down the cow tongue with some dessert, I realized that I was actually eating a mixture of lemon, egg, and sugar. Interesting day indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi David, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am catching up on your blogs. Some of it sounds very scientific. I'm still wondering how much "meat" is on an ox tail? And do you remember seeing Mere eat moose tongue? I just remember her slicing it and seeing all the little taste buds. -christina

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to guess about 10% meat on an oxtail. We had 22 pounds of oxtails, and I think we took a little over 2 pounds of meat off them.

    I don't remember the moose tongue...I have a selective memory.

    ReplyDelete