Wednesday, January 12, 2011

BusyBusyBusy

The vision: This blog was supposed to have daily entries.  
The reality: This new venture is keeping me REALLY busy.

While the TV shows pile up on the DVR, I find myself either spending the evening studying for a test or doing an an assignment. Even on the days that I have neither test or assignment, I still have to know what to do in the kitchen for that day, so every day is like an unofficial mini-test. Plus the added degree of difficulty....I have to do all this while trying not to cut my fingers off or burn myself on the multiple hot surfaces/open flames I am exposed to when not at the cutting board. But for the first time in a long time.....I'm not complaining.

My first assignment and presentation went really well. My first test also went well. I have no marks back on any of these things, but this is also a change for me....I actually feel confident that I did well on these things before I get official word.

As for daily entries, I was thinking....at the bare minimum, I guess I could post what I had for lunch. One of the inclusions in my tuition is a "student tasting card"; the idea is that students taste what has been prepared (by students) that day. In other words, I get to eat a pretty fancy meal every day.
A meal consists of: one of two soups or salad, one of two entrees + starch + veggies, bread of the day, dessert, and a drink "off the line" (fountain pop, juice, coffee or tea). I usually skip the dessert because I don't want to weigh 450 pounds by April....but the desserts made by the pastry arts students and would easily run $8-$12 in a normal restaurant.
By the way....the cost of the above mentioned meal for the general public: $9.25.

Here is what I had today:
Vegetable Soup (I prepared the vegetable broth for this soup)
Blackened Salmon with Creole Shrimp Hollandaise
Starch: Pommes Chateau
Veggies: Spaghetti Squash, Mushroom Flan
Bread: Cuban Bread
Coffee

The dessert I skipped: Strawberry Bavarian Cream + chocolate walnut brownie

Mmmm....yummy.



 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment