Friday, January 14, 2011

w00t!

What a way to end the week.

We wrapped in the kitchen at about 4:45pm today, and being Friday, everyone was out of there in about 2 seconds. I was still packing up when Chef Wicki came over and told me that the score on my test earlier this week was "pretty good". I replied that I hadn't had a chance to look up my mark yet. (They are posted online.) He informed me that I got 100%! The only one in the class. 

In the kitchen my group made: Oxtail consomme and tomato bisque.

Interesting tidbit from today: A consomme is a a stock or broth that has been made clear. A stock or broth is usually cloudy, and you clear it up by adding a "clearmeat" and bringing it to a simmer. In this case, the clearmeat consisted of egg whites, ice water, and vinegar. The science behind it: the egg whites in the clearmeat coagulate as the broth heats up, collecting all the suspended solids. The clearmeat rises to the top of the leaving a clear consomme, which you strain through coffee filters.

What I had for lunch today:
Chicken Gumbo
Pork Picatta with Tomato Basil Sauce
Starch: Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Veggies: Mixed Vegetable Julienne with Herbs
Bread: Challah

3 comments:

  1. Wow David, that mark was fantastic!! Good work, proud of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 100% on a test as the new kid? Are you looking to get beat up?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sadly, the first thing I thought of when he told me my mark was: "How am I going to keep the other students from finding out??"
    (The majority of the marks were not good.)

    ReplyDelete