Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Soup's On

Ooops...missed Monday's posting. Monday was kinda hectic and I only had about 10 minutes for lunch, so I basically inhaled it. Poached salmon with Newbury sauce, some kind of roasted potato and acorn squash. I barely had time to taste it.

Today I had a whopping 20 minutes, but I did manage to enjoy lunch immensely. Here is what I had:

Soup: Scotch Broth (My group made this)
Baked Ham with Grilled Pineapple and Maple Raisin Sauce
Starch: Gratin Dauphinoise (excellent layered potato dish)
Veggies: Carrot Flan and Harvard Beets
French Bread
Coffee

I had my test on soups today....not triple digits like the stocks test, but Chef Wicki told me after kitchen duty today that he had already marked the tests and was pretty sure I only had one or two wrong.
Tomorrow is my last day on the soups station....on to the sauces station on Thursday.
Also on Thursday, my terminology test. 41 definitions out of a possible 114 definitions. He gives us the word, we write out the definition. We use quite a few of the words on a daily basis, so it shouldn't be too bad.

Oh, and just for the record, the 5 Mother Sauces are:
Bechamel
Veloute
Tomato
Espagnole
Hollandaise

Two months ago, Maureen asked me about the 5 Mother Sauces, so I had to look them up online (and in hindsight, they weren't even correct). Now I live, breathe (and eat) these sauces on a daily basis.

1 comment:

  1. "Mother Sauces" sounds like one of those swear word replacements they use on network TV.

    "Fry you, mother saucer!"

    ReplyDelete