I'm now into my third week at Fraiche Restaurant. It has been demanding and rewarding....and demanding. Oh, and rewarding. Here is a review by a critic that was in recently:
http://travel.aol.ca/2011/05/31/winding-up-the-mountain-for-a-culinary-adventure/?a_dgi=aolshare_facebook
In case the link expires, here is the text:
Winding Up the Mountain for a Culinary Adventureby Michelle Hopkins , Posted Tuesday 31st May
As we walk into West Vancouver's elegant eatery, Fraiche Restaurant, four couples are already waiting to be seated in the packed house
Within less than five minutes the Venezuelan-born executive chef, Jefferson Alvarez, arrives with a tray laden with a goat-cheese appetizer as the hostess takes drink orders.
I can't think of too many executive chefs who do this. Alvarez spends several wonderful minutes with us and shares his deep passion for food and people. One of our fellow diners tells us that this isn't unusual behaviour for Alvarez.
At one point my dining companion starts up a conversation with a man dining at a nearby table. It seems they're huge fans of Alvarez, following him to Fraiche from Commercial Drive's Divino. It was while at the helm of Divino's that Alvarez received rave reviews in Vancouver Magazine, Nuvo, and the Globe and Mail for his culinary wizardry. We were certainly excited to taste what this chef had to offer.
However, before I get into the cuisine, I have to talk about the views. This award-winning restaurant is truly a destination eatery. It boasts what many fine dining patrons consider some of the best views in town.
Perched at the top of West Vancouver's toniest postal code, it has sweeping vistas of Burrard Inlet.
So here we are, seated by the floor to ceiling windows, drinking up the views of Lions Gate Bridge and Stanley Park, when the manager/sommelier Phillip Reigh greets us. If you find yourself in an adventurous mood allow Reigh to choose wine pairings for each course. Without taking too much of our time, he explained each pour as we went along.
Then it was onto our culinary adventure into which Alvarez can't help but infuse some of his homeland's flavours.
We started with a wickedly delicious Burrata mozzarella salad and hot house heirloom tomatoes with wild celery and fresh basil.
At Alvarez's suggestion, we share local spot prawns ceviche with fresh chickpeas and avocado nori crisps. What an incredible combination of flavours. (Alvarez's roots are certainly showing here!)
Because I'm not a big fan of white wine, Reigh poured me a Kronenbourg Blanc beer instead. It's a flavoured wheat beer that's fruity, with good citrus notes and slightly sweet. It was a perfect pairing for BC Spot prawns. I don't even like beer but this was unlike any suds I've ever tasted.
A collision of ingredients and bright flavours happen yet again for our main course – smoked bison short ribs.
At the end, I couldn't eat another morsel but my partner always finds room for a little dessert. He wasn't disappointed when a Chocolate Trio with Montilla Alvear Cream came to the table, paired with a sweet sherry dessert wine.
There's something kind of magical that happens when everything comes together -stellar service, marvelous ambiance, stunning scenery and outstanding food - and you leave feeling like it was worth every dime.
Many restaurant critics call Fraiche one of the Lower Mainland's best kept secrets, however, I dare add that with Alvarez at the helm, it won't be for long.
At a Glance:
Fraîche Restaurant 2240 Chippendale Road West Vancouver
For reservations: 604-925-7595 or http://www.fraicherestaurant.ca/
No comments:
Post a Comment