My first term is done. Jumping into the middle of Year 1 was not an ideal way to approach the Culinary Arts program, so it has definitely been an interesting few months. I had no idea what the future had in store when I started back at the beginning of January, but I think I'll call this term a success. I took five program courses plus a certification course and here were the final marks:
Entremetier: 90
Cold Cuisine I: 93
Stocks, Soups, & Sauces: 94
Food Production & Service: 97
Nutrition for the Culinary Professional: 95
ServSafe Certification: 96
I maintained an average of 94, while the class average usually hovered around 70 to 75. They don't give us class rankings, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that my 97 in Food Production & Service was probably top mark in the class. w00t!
Since the first few months went so well, my chef instructors recommended to the program director that I do my internship this summer instead of next. The program director has also ok'd a plan for me to do the first year courses I missed (from starting late) concurrently with my second year courses this fall. It will be challenging, but it will mean that I will graduate with my current class, as if I started in the fall of 2010!
So I am heading to Vancouver soon to do my internship. I don't have anything lined up yet since it is difficult to secure work 4000+ kms away. Everyone I have spoken to (chef instructors, internship co-ordinator) all agree that the best approach will be to actually go to Vancouver and line something up once in town.
I should note that I've had one offer....a "true" internship of $0/hr...experience only. I've been told that internships pay upwards to $10 or $12/hr, so $0/hr is a little on the low side. Technically, I need to have a paying internship because I need to be able to log my hours towards my apprenticeship and the ultimate prize.....the Red Seal. This engineer is gonna be a journeyman! (In 3 to 5 years.)
That's the wrap up. I plan to update once I have the internship lined up, so check back through the summer, or better yet, get Blogger to send you an email when I update.
Happy for you David, good luck on finding a suitable internship!! Talk to you soon.
ReplyDelete