Phew! There is light at the end of the tunnel. The past week and a half have been spent buried in books and notes and honing kitchen skills. Assignments/quizzes/presentations/practical exams/finals....all conquered so far. "Just" the final exam left in Stocks, Soups & Sauces on Friday and then on to a new rotation on Monday.
I got my black box practical exam score yesterday: 98%!! As I mentioned in the previous post, I was pleased with the final product, and it turns out that Chef Wicki was also. Where I lost my points: My yield was slightly below 3 litres (the sauce simmered too hard at one point, and I knew this) and my choice of pot. I should have used a shorter, wider pot and I went with a taller pot. The kicker: I had the shorter pot in my hands, then opted for the taller pot when I overthought the situation. Moral: Go with your gut.
Today, I was on the stocks station. Along with the 300 litres of potato chowder for the hockey tournament, we were also getting the groundwork done for a fish stock to be done on Friday. There were 27 pounds of fish carcasses to be chopped up into 3 to 4 inch sections. I last did this on my 3rd day of classes....back when things were pretty overwhelming. At that time I was using a chef's knife belonging to a classmate. Chopping fish parts with a chef's knife is very time consuming and DANGEROUS.
I recalled that I had a cleaver at home. A cleaver that would have been very handy at the time. I went home after day 3 and added the cleaver to my knife roll, should I ever need to chop, chop, chop. Knowing I had just the piece of equipment for the job, I offered to take care of the fish bones.
A bit of history: Kim's Aunt Carolyn gave me that cleaver many, many years ago. I thanked her for it at the time, but I never really had a practical use for it until today. (I don't do much home butchery.)
Well, that knife made my job so easy today, and I got plenty of compliments on the knife. (That might sound corny, but in the atmosphere of a commercial kitchen, compliments are taken in high regard.)
It made me realize that this change in my life was most likely meant to be, and I think Carolyn saw that all those years ago. I wish I could thank her again.
A photo of the solid piece of sharpened steel:
The opposite side sporting the new "D Savoy" engraving:
Thanks again.
Wow David, you are most certainly where you are meant to be!!! So happy with your progress and the compliments are just starting....I'm sure your Aunt Caroline is beaming.
ReplyDeleteAlthough scary, it's also the perfect knife to cut up pineapple. Glad that you still have 10 fingers.
ReplyDeleteMo